Saturday 15 February 2014

I Have Never Celebrated Valentine’s Day – Joke Silva


Joke Silva is happily married to fellow thespian, Olu Jacobs.
Nigerian actress, Joke Silva, is a lifestyle icon and model upon which the fantasies of a million people are built. Having had a successful career in Nollywood, and grown in a healthy Christian marriage and family with fellow veteran actor, Olu Jacobs, her positive influence to the Nigerian populace is immense.
Today, on Valentine’s Day, she speaks exclusively to Pulse.ng on her ideal Valentine celebration, how Valentine Day was observed in her younger days, and why it should be celebrated.
Transformation Down The years
“Valentine has become a whole new ball game. 20 years ago, it wasn’t really that much of a big deal. It was just a very beautiful phenomenon. Nowadays, it’s big business. Business and drinks. People are celebrating, people take it’s seriously.”
How She Celebrates Valentine
“I’ve never celebrated Valentine. Never. But nowadays what people tend to do is invite us, so that we come and speak at their Valentine event. Usually it’s based on relationship, how we have weathered the storm over the years to get to this stage. So that’s the difference, we tend to get festivities and dinner. It’s quite fun.
I have never celebrated Valentine. I tend to be romantic on a regular basis. For me, Valentine is all about family, I like to be with my husband on that day, but because of the kind of work we do, he might not be in town, but I take care of the members of the family. And because I have fun as well, he tends to wish me happy Val day, and I do the same.
Her Ideal Valentine Day
‘My ideal Valentine Day, for me it’s a trip. I would like to go to somewhere very cosy and serene, maybe within Nigeria or outside. I have been to some absolutely beautiful places. It will be nice to travel away to a picturesque place, and get lots of food, probably a film, a love film, I love films. (Laughs) ‘I will probably be given a pair of diamonds, or a plot of land or a new house.
Advice To Nigerian Lovers
I think it’s lovely. I think it give people the opportunity to love each other. I think people should take advantage of that and just have a lovely day together, play over their love interest and enjoy this day.
“On a day like today, it’s a day people should be extravagant, about how they feel about each other. Love is a lovely thing, it’s wonderful. And if you can celebrate it extravagantly on a particular day, why not? I think it’s good.

No comments:

Post a Comment